Controls screen in heat

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Controls screen in heat

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

the other day my game all of the sudden started creating an almost blank screen, where i can barely see the wheel, and it flickers in the controls menu in heat. when i click around the screen, i can still assign controls (the ones that i blindly click on) but i am unable to see anything i do because of it, i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what may have been the cause... i am really in need of fixing this one quickly... thanks
options screen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reef
League Member

Re: Controls screen in heat

Post by Reef »

do you have the cd or is it essentials?
possibly a video card failing?

need more info
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

everything else on the computer works perfectly, i changed no settings, but only that screen in the options, controls is doing this. if i happen to click on say " enter throttle" or whatever, the screen looks normal until i enter the control, then it goes back to flickering.. but as i said, only in heat, options, controls and advanced controls. the game was installed from the original cd, and has never done this .. until now. i can go in and race, go online and race, all screens working except the controls.. i dont know what else to tell you, just that no other function on my computer is effected by this.
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

Maybe backup ur carfiles and setups and try a reinstall?
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

spent the last half hour redoing heat, completely uninstalled, then reinstalled, go into the game all excited, same thing, YAYYYYYYYY
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

well if any of u ever come across this, check your antialiasing settings and turn them off and get the settings how you want them. thats what seemed to work for me
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

I have an Nvidia video card, and for antialiasing and aniosotrophic settings, I leave them all on "application controlled" and everything looks fine for me. With running at 1280x1024 (My LCD's native resolution), antialiasing isn't really needed anyway. I wouldn't use it if I were you.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

yes i had it set to override and do 8x on everything minimum, but i changed it to application controlled and thats what fixed it. i didnt change the setting is the weird part, i installed the driver for my card when i redid my computer a month ago, set all the settings in the nvidia control panel, installed all my games... played heat for a month no problem then boom that.. at least its fixed now and hopefully if anybody runs into this again they will remember to check their aa settings
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

I began having the exact same issue tonight. My card is set somewhat on overdrive too and I'll set it to application. If I hadn't seen this I may have completely re-installed too. Thanks. :grin:
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

The good quesiton is, what is making everyone's vid driver force AA? I wonder if it's some application you guys installed, or an upgrade of the driver.

Is everyone who had this problem all using Nvidia cards? I do know that if you use the latest version of the Nvidia driver with some older cards, framerates go to shit in games and even on pc pitstop tests. I have a 2005 era card (FX5500) and I reverted back to a Novermber 2006 version of the driver to fix it.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

Nvidia, yes. my new one (driver date: 9-2008). Who knows? I had set it on the control panel to a more "Quality" setting (balanced to be exact) because I dont like the jagged lines you get with the performance setting, which is what I get with application controlled. I can live with that though. If I need to adjust a control I'll set it back to do that, make the adjustment, then go back to quality. It runs the game just fine.
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

yes i have an nvidia 8800gts , but i had set the AA settings very high on my own, it didnt just turn up that high. like i said, it ran fine for a month with the settings turned up, then it did it out of nowhere. unfortunately d3e.. i did a couple reinstalls thinking the game was dinked up.. but its not only you, a couple others have posted the same thing, so at least i can help in some way. haha
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

bover907 wrote:The good quesiton is, what is making everyone's vid driver force AA? I wonder if it's some application you guys installed, or an upgrade of the driver.

Is everyone who had this problem all using Nvidia cards? I do know that if you use the latest version of the Nvidia driver with some older cards, framerates go to shit in games and even on pc pitstop tests. I have a 2005 era card (FX5500) and I reverted back to a Novermber 2006 version of the driver to fix it.
Yes, Bover ,is correct on the statement about the latest version's put out by Nvidia.The auto-detect your updated driver
thing-a-ma-jiggy tells me to install a Linux driver version , (like i'm stupid) :roll: and I do not have a Linux system.I had been running an Fx5500 when I first started last year .Instead of the Linux driver , I was wise enough to install the,81.98
version # and the Computer or Card went haywire.I heard a faint pop like a bottle cap and POOF! So I pulled out an old 450 mhz Intel I built from scratch years ago with an even older GeForce2 MX/MX400 overclocked it to 503Mhz installed an updated driver version ( not as new as 81.98)and got little red dots roving along the roll bars when in the Cockpit mode.So I went back to an older version that was Certified then upgraded again ,just to a 77.72 .And all was fine,I recommend turning off the "NvCplDaemon" that runs at startup.All that does is control the Nvidia control panel icon at startup and has been found to have alot of problems associated with it.Some or I should say a few Virus detection programs detect it as a
Virus! I agree. It has some strange connection with Nvidia's Website! I just set the settings through your regular Display,Its still there,And they won't mysteriously detour on ya!