2008 Daytona and Talladega "Low-Lining Rule"

General discussion, feedback, or ideas about improving the league.

Should lap-after-lap "low lining" at Daytona and Talladega be made illegal?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 22

lepage71
League Administrator

2008 Daytona and Talladega "Low-Lining Rule"

Post by lepage71 »

This refers to the usual Daytona and Talladega phenomenon in which cars hug the left-side apron line throughout the entire race. In the draft, this makes passing impossible without a coordinated plan-of-attack from multiple drivers on the right side. If this rule were implemented, drivers would not be allowed to block lap after lap at both courses (the current leader must run in the middle or far-right lane).

I suspect if this were ever a rule, we'd allow "low-line blocking" on the final lap or something like that.

Please post questions and comments after voting.
lepage71
League Administrator

Re: 2008 Daytona and Talladega "Low-Lining Rule"

Post by lepage71 »

I'd like a low-lining rule because Daytonadega can be boring! :?
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

if this rule happens, the "current leader" will change about every 15 seconds. as much as i love 3 wide pile-ups, i will have to pass on this one.
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

lepage71 wrote:I'd like a low-lining rule because Daytonadega can be boring! :?

not if you made the races 6x wear. it would become the one true "team" racing event. one of these days..........

i do agree with the "boring" statement though.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

What is so boring about it? The emphasis is on pitting and strategy at plate tracks. Also the reason everyone plays follow the leader is that they choose to. Pass him if you don't want to follow. It isn't that hard.
Donaldson
League Member

Post by Donaldson »

i vote for the rule..i say we just go out and actually race..I'd rather be caught up in an accident "racing" having fun rather than falling alseep running single file the whole time.
DaveO
League Member

Post by DaveO »

Ok so during the middle of the race while drafting were gonna worry if were breaking a rule by staying in one lane to long.. if peeps start switching lanes more often cuz of this, I think your gonna see more wrecks..
NHRL 2012 Cup & NBS Champion. 2013 CTS Champion & Cup Champion. 31 Wins, 26 Poles, and 2,126 laps led!
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

DaveO wrote:Ok so during the middle of the race while drafting were gonna worry if were breaking a rule by staying in one lane to long.. if peeps start switching lanes more often cuz of this, I think your gonna see more wrecks..
yes, its going to be tricky if you are hooked up with a partner and push him to the lead. your gonna have to hope that both of you could clear and then move up out of the bottom together to stay "legal". it would also cause me to do a little gear changing because i dont like to lead and set my setup up for pushing. when someone jumps to the middle lane to put me at the point, it will cause the whole line to slow with my setup. i can fix it though if this rule does pass through. so i will live.
Stick77
League Member

Post by Stick77 »

I agree they are boring races but you still have to be on your toes being that close. However changing lanes can be dangerous considering the entire field will be on top of eachother.Things usally spread out after the first pit stops anyway.
CR49
League Member

Post by CR49 »

Low Lining can get annoying but at the sametime so can banning it. I've raced with both and either way theres pros and cons. Pro for low lining is protecting position a little more for the leader, con is you can't pass that well if they are constantly hugging the line unless you can get a few guys to goto the outside with ya. Banning it Pro is you can pass a little more easily, con is there usually generates a lack of respect and people automatically just shoot around ya if your leading. So really in general plate racing sucks.
trucky
Forum Member

Post by trucky »

NOOOO.
Don't touch Daytona and Talladega.
It's all about draft and should allways be that way.
If you wanna pass just go for it and hope that there is some guy that like it to work with you.
This is Daytona.The most amazing race in the world.
No for the low lining rule ever.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

No on the low line rule! You want to pass, get a pardner and pass, just like the TV boys, lol...

It can be done... BBFF has done it. So can you! 8)
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Petty43
League Member

Post by Petty43 »

"You never know what your gonna get"
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

Again: No to the low-lining rule! I can't imagine ANY scenario where this rule could be acceptable. wouldn't be for me if im leading. just gotta make the pass high with help. or low if they slip up. I realize this has always been irritating to someone but it seems it's just one of the cool things about this game.
kyle
League Member

Post by kyle »

That would be a correct statement bover ...we did it an awful lot we weren't scared..... :biggrin:
Kyle
Big Mike
League Member

Post by Big Mike »

Just erase the NO PASSING BELOW THE YELLOW LINE RULE :badgrin:
OLD SCHOOL :mrgreen:
adamj
League Member

Post by adamj »

these races are junk anyways the only way to fix dega and daytona is to dump them off the schedule.
LOD # 66 busch
# 42 cup
camry
League Member

Post by camry »

I vote yes for the low-line rule, but I would be in favor of what someone else said with allowing 'under the yellow' passes.

I think it's weak that people just hug the inside and ride around, even if they don't have the best car, they can hold a lead for a long time.

And most people just ride single file around the track because nobody wants to get stuck outside, which makes the race more boring. And even causes alot of accidents because people rear-end each other.

If everyone is afraid of racing 'tona and 'dega because of wrecks, don't show up. The point of this league to my knowledge is it mirror real life as much as possible.

Will
Free Agent
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Which is why, you run your team channel, and hook up with ur partners and go high. That's what you have to do in real life, why not here.

Taking a group of guys up to the high side doesn't cause wrecks... impatient souls who try to dive under someone who only moves up half a car length does...

if you practice high lining it in practice sessions, you won't get sucked into the wall if you go up there in races.

Bottom line. If your dissatisfied with the guys in front of you hugging the bottom, grab some guys and high line it around him.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Would it help to remove the restrictor plates on DEGA and TONA? u know, the faster u go ,the less the "line hugger" will try to hug the line!! Try hugging the line @ 225+ Mph without slowing down on the turn or wiping out. It ain't easy!!!If he does slow an "Outsider will run right on by!!! Just a suggestion.. :mrgreen: