Newbie Practice

Schedule testing and tweaking sessions for upcoming league races.
Brasshat
Forum Member

Newbie Practice

Post by Brasshat »

Im a complete newbie and wondering if anyone would give me any tips about racing. ANY suggestions welcomed
Reef
League Member

Re: Newbie Practice

Post by Reef »

hold your line, when being overtaken by faster cars, do not dart around trying to get out of the way. Stay where you are and the faster cars will find a way around you. Don't become a moving chicane.

Practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more. we have drivers who run 100's of laps for every race. I've already logged about 125 laps for Sears Point, and theres still a week or 2 left before the race. It isnt a good idea to run a few laps before race time and call it good. check the server often, and ask questions. There are many setups posted in the forums, find one u like and run the shit out of it before u make any changes. You need to get familiar with the car and track before you start wrenching on setups.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

All of what reef said, Plus:
  • When noone is around to practice online with, run offline. Especially on a track like Sears Point. Log a ton of laps there in testing mode, and just learn the road course. That way you won't go flying into a corner and smash someone.
  • Show up well before race night for your first night. Running around the other league drives is slightly different that running with the AI or by yourself. You will then have a chance to see different people's nuances.
  • Be courteous in both communication and driving. As a noob, don't push the issue on the track or with the keyboard and mic. "WTF" is a four letter word. If you trade paint with someone, wait until AFTER the race to sort it out.
  • TRACK AWARENESS!!!! You should have your "F5" display up during the race. When a car is coming up to pass you, if he isn't within one second behind, You are not racing him for position! If he's faster, go ahead and leave him by.
Hope this helps.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

I don't practice until a couple hours before a race, then I'm not cranked up on too high of expectations.

LOL! just kidding......most the time :badgrin:

Seriously, don't overdrive the car, relative to your ability. It will only lead you, and probably others to frustration. You'll get there eventually.