No Sound...

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
JRich60
League Member

No Sound...

Post by JRich60 »

Ok. I did some basic maintenance on Monday..Spyware, Antivirus...stuff like that. Not sure when or how, but now I have no sound at all. No System, Game or CD sound. I did a System Restore, but nothing changed. Tried other headphones but nothing. Opinions on Sound Card bad? It is about 4 yrs old, so possibly bad. Any help appreciated. Thx.
Reef
League Member

Re: No Sound...

Post by Reef »

Does your onboard sound work? If you did a system restore, then u may have to disable/enable your sound via the control panel. Heres a dumb question, but one thats needed to be asked... Are your speakers plugged in and are they plugged into the correct port?
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Sound cards are just one of those items that virtually never go bad. That being said, it's usually software related.
  1. Couple things to check.
  2. We need to know if it's actually a sound card or onboard sound you're using.
  3. If it's a sound card, you need to check on your bios and make sure that your onboard sound chip is disabled. That would need to be enabled if you were using onboard instead of a sound card.
  4. Then, you need to make sure your sound card shows up in the hardware list.
  5. You do this by going to Control Panel, clicking the System icon, clicking the Hardware tab, and scrolling down the list to the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section. You should see your sound card listed there, and this is where you'll usually see if there is a problem such as no driver installed. If you don't see your sound card in this list, you may need to re-run your sound card installation CD.
I hope I didn't make that all sound too complicated. Hope it helps.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

The answer is simple.

Find out who else uses your computer, then beat the crap out of them.

999999 out of every 1000000 problems i have ever had with my computer started with somebody else using my computer and jacking it up.

:clubber
JRich60
League Member

Post by JRich60 »

Allright everyone. No body else uses this computer, and it is a Sound Blaster Card. My sound worked fine until after the last race sometime. I disabled the card in the device manager, but when I went to reinstall, it wouldn't find the card. I went and enabled the onboard sound and reinstalled the drivers for it...voila...SOUND...LOl Anyway, gonna get me a new sound card sometime and install.

Thanks for all the ideas, for some reason though, can't figure out what happened.
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

Take it off of mute.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

well, if you're going to use the onboard sound, you should take the soundblaster card out of there to avoid conflicts in the future...

I would still give the soundblaster card one last shot. The way you'd want to do this is.... Shut down the computer and pull out the soundblaster...... Fire the computer up and uninstall the drivers and software for both the soundblaster and your onboard sound.... Then, turn the computer back off and plug the soundblaster in and fire the computer up. Windows should then find your soundblaster and let you set it up properly. It's probably worth a shot if you don't want to go spend $$$ on a new card.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

JRich60 wrote:I disabled the card in the device manager, but when I went to reinstall, it wouldn't find the card.
Disabling the card in device manager,did not uninstall it.Therefore ,at start up, your computer did not find it cause it didn't need to.IT WAS ALREADY INSTALLED!
Try this:
1.Turn off onboard sound
2.shut down,put card back in and restart,go to safe mode
3.go to device manager ,sounds ,video,controllers,if soundcard showing, left click it,then click properties, and uncheck "disable in this hardware profile" then remove everything listed inside there,including sounscard,reboot
if soundcard isnt listed remove everything else anyway and reboot.You will need your Operating system cd unless u already have it copied to harddrive so it can reinstall all you removed. Should fix it
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

SpeedyExiter wrote:
JRich60 wrote:I disabled the card in the device manager, but when I went to reinstall, it wouldn't find the card.
Disabling the card in device manager,did not uninstall it.Therefore ,at start up, your computer did not find it cause it didn't need to.IT WAS ALREADY INSTALLED!
Try this: ]
1.Turn off onboard sound
3.go to device manager ,sounds ,video,controllers,if soundcard showing, left click it,then click properties, and uncheck "disable in this hardware profile" then remove everything listed inside there,including sounscard,reboot
if soundcard isnt listed remove everything else anyway and reboot.You will need your Operating system cd unless u already have it copied to harddrive so it can reinstall all you removed. Should fix it
Never a good idea to remove EVERYTHING from your device manager... :roll: :shock: ](*,)
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

DusterLag wrote:
SpeedyExiter wrote:
Try this: ]
1.Turn off onboard sound
Never a good idea to remove EVERYTHING from your device manager... :roll: :shock: ](*,)
I said ......3.go to device manager ,sounds ,video,controllers,if soundcard showing, left click it,then click properties, and uncheck "disable in this hardware profile" then remove everything listed inside there,including sounscard,reboot
if soundcard isnt listed remove everything else anyway

which means evrything under Sounds,video, and controllers.( microsoft devices that do not show in normal mode,etc)Not everything,Dusterlag.
Petty43
League Member

Post by Petty43 »

Turn your volume up. :lol: