Who'sWHO???????

General discussion, feedback, or ideas about improving the league.

Would you...........

I agree. All submitted carxxx.tex files should have identifiable markings on front and rear.( number,or name etc)
21%
I disagree. I'll put what I want on my vehicle, and thats your problem if you cant tell who I am .
25%
I dont think thats necessary, but all rookies should have caution strips on rearend of vehicle!
29%
No way! Too many darn rules already! We need less rules!
4%
Might be something to think about , could make for safer racing, less mishaps!
13%
Yeah sure, and we could all wear little name tags pinned to our shirts!
8%

Total votes: 24

SpeedyExiter
League Member

Who'sWHO???????

Post by SpeedyExiter »

With so many drivers, some with multiple vehicles, I've found it difficult ,at times, to identify who's in front of me or behind me..
bover907
League Administrator

Re: Who'sWHO???????

Post by bover907 »

Whenever I paint a vehicle for someone or myself, I put a little number on the Right Side head and tail lights. On trucks I usually put a number on the front and back of the spoiler, also on the right side. along with a headlight number like the cars have.

This is mandatory in NASCAR and I think it should be in our league also. (I never gave it thought, really. I just do it for realism, but now that you mention it)....

That's enough to know who you're about to pass. There's no way you can really tell a number in the rearview, so don't require more than the above.

At the same time, we can't forget the importance of track awareness. I alwayse race with the F-5 screen up, so I know who I am racing. If I go to the pit menu, or look at damage, I always return to the F-5 screen afterward. You can tell who doesn't.. He's that guy who's racing you really hard when he isn't even anywhere near the same lap as you.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

yellow stripes on the rear of the car/truck for rookies and there car/truck number on the back,... like it should be ... just to identify rookies from vets or other wise .. i asked that question when i got my first paint they said it wasnt needed..... but i think yellow stripes can be removed the next time Feb comes around it just helps us all ... but it will help the leaders the most....... :grin:
tjwild
League Member

Post by tjwild »

i think it would be grate to have them like nascar dose and i think it would be nice to have the same number in cup and nbs and cts
in stead of haven defrent numbers on the cars
CR49
League Member

Post by CR49 »

Doesn't really matter to me I tend to learn most of them pretty quick, but usually I'm just concerned with watching what they are doing right then more so then who they are.
JRich60
League Member

Post by JRich60 »

Since I am a rookie here, this will be short:

I will abide by whatever the league puts in the rules...LOL

Short enough? :lol:
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

out of realism i usually put my number on the right rear taillight, and the rookie stripes are something that should be included in my opinion (even if they are on mine) ... i would not want the stripes to be a reason for me to be disrepected by other yellow stripers or vets though... somebody had a good point a few weeks ago to delete any drivers tex files that you dont like to be around, then all you have to do is avoid the bright all-red trucks/cars.
Stick77
League Member

Post by Stick77 »

I keep all the drivers that i think are a threat for accidents red anyway, but putting a yellow stripe on the back really wouldnt make a difference. For a change of pace lets help out the rookies as much as possible ( the respectful ones) and get them up to speed. It would make for some real good racing!! Thats my opinion...
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

You want to know what I think? Well I'm gonna tell you anyways.

1. If more people practiced in the server, everyone would know who the other driver is.
2. In-server practice means during the week, not on race-day.
3. If more people actually watched the replays, they would get to know what drivers run what.

Since our last race, I have only seen a handfull of regulars in the server practicing for North Carolina. I know that I will be extremely pissed off if someone that hasn't practiced at all wrecks me due to their own ineptness.

My 2 cents here: If you don't plan on practicing, then please don't show up. I donot plan on going back to redo all the paints I've done just to either slap a number or a stripe on it.
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

One of the main reasons I asked this question was because someone had mentioned in another post that some lapped drivers were neglecting to allow faster and/or lead lap vehicles to pass in a timely matter.Thereby unknowingly (or knowingly) allow a chasing vehicle to catch up or at the least, close the time gap between said vehicles. Since I 've been
racing here ,after a few unfortunate incidents, and realizing that I'm still in a learning phase, have concentrated mainly on my ability to keep my vehicle under control, finding that it was much easier with a well handling, better gripping setup,and have opted for that rather than speed.Knowing that I'm not as fast as the veterans, I have tried to always be aware of where the lead vehicles were .Most times I can determine a leader coming up in my rearwiew mirror and am prepared,allowing them to pass ,so as not to disrupt their pace, as I would want if I was in their place.In the Richmond race, I was in the midst of a pack of vehicles racing for position, when suddenly, what I assumed were the leaders , coming up on us.
I prepared to move right allowing them to pass inside when another driver I was racing against moved along side me,on my right. So I held my position, until i was able to move right and let the leaders pass. A few times i wasn't quite sure who was whom, and more than once witnessed lapped cars , attempting to keep these vehicles from passing, then making a risky maneuver to try jumping into the lead pack ,thereby passing me for position. I could have easily done the same to keep my position ,but chose not to, for two reasons: 1. The possibility of taking out one or more of the lead vehicles, and 2. I couldn't positively distinguish the difference between a lead vehicle (except ROOKIESROCK'S) and a vehicle chasing me for position. and so that was the reason I asked this poll.Now, knowing this,and this scenario, would your answer to the poll still be the same :?:
THX for taking the time to answer the poll, it shows that some are paying attention! :newspaper =D>
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Like reef said. Regular practices gets everyone to know everyone....

Also, like I said. you HAVE TO have your STANDINGS SCREEN (F5) up when you race! It's imperative. If you see that the guy you are racing for position is say.... 2.5 seconds behind you, and a car is coming up on your rear, about to pass, he's not the guy you're racing for position. Let him by... no harm in that...

Same principle holds true for cars you catch up to.

Me personally, I like to put my name on the back of my car so everyone knows who I am, but that's just me.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
tjwild
League Member

Post by tjwild »

thats a grate ide bover907 im going to start doing that puting name on the back of the car
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Good points speedy. And you are correct when you share the changing of positions for everyone when amongst cars on different laps.It effects all. If a car isn't within 2 or 3 positions then the F5 leader screen doesnt help much. With larger fields and multiple paints it will take longer to become familiar with them. I have only made one race so I don't recognize 2/3rds of the field. Reviewing replays helps tremendously.
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

here's a helpful tip to learn the other drivers and their rides.

Take the time and create a driver's.txt entry for every file and run the NHRL cars when practicing offline. It may take awhile but it does help.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Now that's a great idea, Reef. Then you can put names to faces..... uhhhh paints.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Take the time and create a driver's.txt entry for every file and run the NHRL cars when practicing offline. It may take awhile but it does help.
GREAT idea! Nothings more aggravating than getting beat offline by a dozen Eaglekeepers :badgrin:
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

I always ask my painters to put D3efan big and bold across the rear bumper. That way you know who to yell at. :badgrin: Familiarity with paint job comes with not too many changes and just plain running with guys in the server, like Reef said. BTW, evryone should know who I am just by the ol' black and silver running ya down! And I'm thinking (not for sure yet)...since it's such an important part of history and tradition in NASCAR, I'm gonna give the number #3 to someone else for the Cup series in '09. Don't need to hog it up indefinately.

It may go to a certain teamate of mine first, but who else wants to run the #3 car! Please use traditional black and silver if you get it. But that's up to you.

d3
Petty43
League Member

Post by Petty43 »

In the real world paint schemes change all the time. It's a matter of being aware of what is going on around you. There a lot of guys who always are going to post new tex files. Some don't read the rules, and post their tex files a few days before the race etc. I don't pay attention to tex files or their paints on the track. They are a competitor. If a driver is small in your mirror and a lap later is bigger that means he's coming.
Reef laid it out perfect. Practice is the only way to get to know tex files. That never happens here. The only time a whole group of people show up is 2 hours before the race, which is totally lame in this reporters opinion. So review your replay, then you know who's in which car. Also, with new drivers coming around it takes a race or two to memorize more tex files.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy Festivus for the rest of us! :alien:
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

its good for me and d3efan to very clearly mark the back of our truck/cars because that is really all that most of you get to see is the back of ours :lol:
bmxtwins
League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

Does that mean mustang should start marking his front bumper? That way people can read it in their mirrors.