General computer problem

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
RoushFenway9916
League Member

General computer problem

Post by RoushFenway9916 »

OK guys, I know this isn't a NASCAR Heat related issue, but any help would be awesome.

I have a HP Pavilion laptop. About a year ago at this time, it quit working and I had to send it back to HP. At that time it was still under warranty. The computer was less than a year old and had to have the motherboard replaced. Well, almost a year to that date, I am experiencing similar issues.

What's happening is when I go to turn the computer on, the lights come on, the fan starts running, and sounds like it is booting up. However, I am seeing nothing on the screen. Also, after it tries to boot up for about 15-20 seconds, it just automatically restarts itself. If I let it continue, it will do this over and over again non-stop. Again though, I see nothing on the screen. I have plugged an external monitor into the laptop and I see nothing on that screen either. Does this sound like something fixable? Any suggestions?
Image Image
DusterLag
League Member

Re: General computer problem

Post by DusterLag »

I hate to say this, but it sounds like the motherboard again... If you cannot see even the bios on either the lcd or external monitor it is usually bad things.. HP & Compaq laptops have horrid issues with motherboards, I too was in that same situation with my Compaq laptop (same as the pavilion except the Compaq body). I can tell you that it does not sound good... Have you pushed the reset button(bios reset) on the bottom. It is really the only thing I can recommend from here. Good luck.
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

maybe im off base here, but i had this happen to me, and it was the hard drive... and it seems like mine was doing the same thing, power on, try to boot, restart. if it was the hard drive , that would be easier than the motherboard, but then you would have just lost all of your data.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

The crappy thing about continuous boot loops is they can be caused by powersupply, hard drive or memory. It's hard to tell. There's a program called memtest that you can use from a floppy or thumbdrive, that'll rule out the memory....

usually a hard drive failure will just simply give you one of two possible messages... No boot record on drive C: or you won't see a hard drive installed in your boot screen....

One thing you need to try is unplug your computer, open it up. Before you touch anything, touch some bare metal in the computer chassis somewhere to ground out any static you've built up.

Then, unplug and reseat yoru memory sticks and your video card (if equipped). Somehow these things can work themselves loose, and you'd be suprised how many computers I've gotten to work doing that.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
RoushFenway9916
League Member

Well, I gave up on the HP. I am having the hard drive taken out and turned into a portable drive, so at least I didn't lose all my data. Anyway, I purchased a new computer tonight. I guess it is too late for to change anything now, but I was wondering some of your opinions about the system I got... Good? Just OK? Got screwed?

Dell Inspiron 15
Intel Core 2 Duo (2.20 GHz / 2MB cache)
Vista Home Premium (service pack 1) 32bit
15.6 inch screen display
3GB memory
250GB hard drive
Intel graphics media accelerator X4500HD video card
8X CD/DVD burner
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 wireless-N mini card
6-cell battery
2 year warranty with in home service
Image Image
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Weather you did good, ok, or got screwed all depends on what you paid for it, lol.

It'll do just fine for heat and maybe even a high end game or two, but what you paid for it decides on the deal you got.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
RoushFenway9916
League Member

Yes Bover, that would help lol. I thought I had it on there. Anyway, it was $803
Image Image
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

Be happy with your purchase. Sounds solid by today's standards.
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

looks like you just got reamed out by ron jeremy my friend :footinmouth !!!!!!!!! hopefully you will be able to sit back down to enjoy it when it gets here. :lol: