Swervin Irvan = MinnerWinner

General announcements and discussion about the NHRL Cup Series.
MinnerWinner
Forum Member

Swervin Irvan = MinnerWinner

Post by MinnerWinner »

I thought it over and thought of my situation around this league as the Ernie Irvan incident in the late 80's.

For those of you who don't know about this, ill let you know. Ernie Irvan was a young driver then who wanted to win at all costs. He would win sometimes but those were at hard costs. Many races that year, he would wreck in front of the leaders and collect them in it, taking them out of the race. Drivers really started not to like him and wasn't very well liked in the garage. They called him Swervin Irvan because of his wreckless style. Few drivers would talk to him about this, and one day Richard Petty approached him about this saying that he had to do something about it. Ernie thought of something that was unheard of in NASCAR. Apologize to everyone in the driver's meetings. Petty told him that if he was going to do this, to follow through with this and not to say one thing and wreck the next week. Ernie went over this in his mind and went through with it. Ernie apologized to every driver that day and said he would be true to his word. By god he was, and the rest is history. Ernie never won a championship but he became one of the most liked drivers in the NASCAR communities.

I think that to the point of the driver's meetings of that story, we have the same aspects going on right now (The only thing that he did that i dont do is run up front lol). The point of this entry is that im apologizing to all of you like he did at the driver's meeting. I'm going to be true to my word like he was and practice hard and race clean. I'm no longer trying to prove myself, as i am now just trying to race clean and smooth. I hope all of you read this entry and i hope we can move on.
HBMan23
Forum Member

Post by HBMan23 »

Nice story! Nice tie-in! I believe this will do the trick! Everyone has started off new and had things happen where they take out someone and everyone knows how bad they felt afterwords. :cry: I think that even though some of US have said things about you that aren't fair (seeing that we ALL have been in this situation, :? don't lie) we all know that you will continue to improve and become a great sim-racer. Good luck MinnerWinner, and I will see you at the next race! :grin:
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

you're a good egg minnerwinner. at least you have the balls to come on and apologize. you're no different than i was or anyone else who's just started online racing. i was not that good either (not saying you're not good! lol!) but it does take alot of practice and experience to run good. ask anyone here. if you're refering to when I rammed you as you came back up into the middle of the track after taking the 'ol grass excursion in turn 3, well, that was just a rookie error and no hard feelings here. just a hint though: the mirrors are as unreliable as the spotter in this game so always assume someone is coming up behind ya and merge back on out of the groove. i saw you going what looked like high so i committed low and, well, there you were! didnt hurt me any though, my day was ruined in an earlier incident. looking forward to running with ya man (just not into ya! lol).
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Although I disagree with HBmans comments on EVERYONE has taken someone out and felt bad afterwards, I do agree that you can/will become a good sim racer. Having something to prove does not only mean running up front and/or being the fastest. Proving that your a good clean fun driver is something to prove in itself. When drivers have and/or cause an accident it isn't always because of inexperience. Therein lies the difference between feeling bad afterwards and not. I once was told to park my car if I'm not gonna drive it within its means. One driver has every right to realestate as another driver. Getting out of the way without wrecking your own car and others is a top concern of mine which I practice at every track. Not sure where I'm going with all this but you Minnerwinner are welcome and I only wanted to argue with HBman.
:grin:
WildFire
Forum Member

Post by WildFire »

Minnerwinner, my first race in this league was the first race of the season of 2005 at the busch daytona race... Man u should of seen me, I think I pist off the entire league, lol... didn't know what I was doing..

But what is key when first starting out is track awareness, knowing your surroundings, and learning how to be a clean driver.. It dosen't matter how fast you are, the key is being a clean and respectful racer to other guys on the track, and with practice, and also alot of patience it works!! Patience is also very important. Take your time in the races, running fast the first few laps does shit for the long haul.... So just driving clean and alot of practice is what you should do.l Then you will see guys helping you out left and right.. Don't worry about how fast you can go, or what a good time is, try starting with a slower sets, then work your way up to faster setups down the road....
efgordon
League Member

ok

Post by efgordon »

ok meandering minnerwinner, if your gonna do this make sure you "follow through with this and not say one thing and wreck the next week" LOL

efpetty

btw - your doing just fine. if i created a list of the most offensive over aggresive drivers in this league during their first few races, you wouldent even make the top 10. if i made a list of the top 10 dumb rookie mistakes that caused major wrecks that effected races and the point standings, you still wouldent make the list, so dont be too hard on yourself. If running in the front of an NHRL race was easy it wouldent be any fun. Its not easy and it takes a ton of time on the track and in the garage to figure it out

good luck!
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

ef's right...NHRL has been around for awhile and there is very little we have not seen already in terms of rookies

compared to some of the rookie "legends" of the past, you don't even qualify for the big leagues
MinnerWinner
Forum Member

Post by MinnerWinner »

thanks guys for the help like i cant tell you how much this has helped me.