New guy trying to log on to MP server.

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
KJRacing
Forum Member

New guy trying to log on to MP server.

Post by KJRacing »

Hi everyone. First time trying to race online with Heat. Used to race NR03 alot but thought I'd give this a go.

I'm using HeatFinder to try and connect. All goes well until I get the error, 'cannot load paint.res file', although the file is in the folder.

Same problem even w/o using HF.

Help is appreciated.

KJ

Edit;
Ok, I got to the server w/o using HeatFinder. I seemed to connect OK after using the PW. But, after I clicked 'approve' the screen just sat there. And it showed the Atlanta track.
I guess I just need a lesson on MP huh?
Last edited by KJRacing on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reef
League Member

Re: New guy trying to log on to MP server.

Post by Reef »

Are you using Heat Essentials or the original game? I am betting on you are trying to join the NHRL server and have not downloaded the mods yet. If you are getting a Paint.res error, you do not have all the correct mod files in your folder.
KJRacing
Forum Member

Post by KJRacing »

I'm using Heat Essentials.
I have the nrhl mod installed. Run it offline quite a bit.
What other mod do I need to run Cup for nhrl?
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

KJRacing wrote:Ok, I got to the server w/o using HeatFinder. I seemed to connect OK after using the PW. But, after I clicked 'approve' the screen just sat there. And it showed the Atlanta track.
I guess I just need a lesson on MP huh?
You said that you got into the heat server, but when you clicked "approve" it just sat there.

That's what it does, it just sits and waits for everyone to approve, and then somone has to type the required command to "close" the approval phase.

It's at that point that it waits until everyone clicks the "go" button. (you also have a garage option at this stage).

I suspect that the reason you never got past the approval stage is because no one else was in the server. Correct?

To me, it sounds like you have it working correctly. You now just need to join when others are in the server, to find out if everything else works.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
KJRacing
Forum Member

Post by KJRacing »

@Bover,
You called it....When this happens I am the only person there. Ok, now it's making some sense.
So next question would be, how can I practice if I can't get in? Is the server only for racing?
Although last night I tried to get in and HeatFinder showed there was 1 other person online.
Thanks for the insight.
KJ
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Well, first things first, do as much offline driving as you feel you need to do to get used to heat. If you have considerable online time with NR2003, you shouldn't have too much of a problem adapting to heat. If you practice with the tracks that came with the game with the AI at 100 to 105%, That's about the speeds you can expect to find the better of us running in online races.

Our next cup race is on Aug 8th, weekend after this coming. You'll undoubtedly fine drivers practicing on friday and saturday night. You can find some setups here. Cup setups are for the stock game, and nhrl cup setups are for the NHRL cup mod. NBS and CTS setups are self explanitory.

Good luck. :wink:

Edit:
I should add that the Cup folder of setups has a lot more in it, and they'll also work fine for the NHRL cup mod with maybe one, two, or even no adjustments
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Stick77
League Member

Post by Stick77 »

Also if your the only one in the server it wont let you on the track. If 2 of you are running and the other guy drops out of the server, youll be exited as well.